What is the Apprentice of the Year?
The Registered Master Builders Apprentice of the Year, in association with CARTERS, aims to recognise excellence among carpentry apprentices and raise awareness of career opportunities in the building and construction industry. It’s a competition that looks to test several aspects of a well-rounded apprentice, not just your skills on the tools.
Watch the Video
What’s in it for you?
Apart from the fantastic prizes (see below), previous entrants have said they got the following out of entering:
- A chance to compare themselves against other apprentices to see how they stack up
- Recognition of their skills, which is valuable for future employment opportunities
- The process of preparing the entry form, being interviewed and a site visited was a great learning experience, and a chance to meet industry people and network
- Built confidence in themselves and their skills.
Regional winners are in to win a great prize pack, all thanks to our sponsors.
The winner from each region will receive:
- A place at a specially designed Outward Bound course ($3,600 value, plus travel costs).
- The honour of representing your region at the national competition in Auckland on 2&3 November 2017 – with travel and accommodation for you and up to three guests.
- Attendance at the Registered Master Builders House of the Year, National Awards Gala Dinner in Auckland in November. Includes travel and accommodation.
- High quality trade products and tools from a range of CARTERS' top suppliers
- $2000 to spend at CARTERS
- A travel bag with clothing, laser range meter and a straight edge from APL Window Solutions
- Trophy and certificate for you and your employer.
Second place getter will win a prize pack including high quality trade products and tools from a range of CARTERS' top suppliers. They will also receive a travel bag with clothing, $100 Prezzy Card and straight edge from APL Window Solutions.
Third place getter will win a prize pack including high quality trade products and tools from a range of CARTERS' top suppliers. They will also receive a travel bag with clothing and straight edge from APL Window Solutions.
All entrants receive an apprenticeship membership to the Registered Master Builders Association.
The national winner of Apprentice of the Year competition will receive:
- Use of a brand new XLT Ford Ranger for one year, proudly provided by principal sponsor CARTERS
- CARTERS Business Tools Grant – a $5,000 grant towards furthering your career, e.g. courses, laptop, or travel to industry conferences or expos.
- High quality trade products and tools from a range of CARTERS' top suppliers as well as from APL Window Solutions.
- An Apple iPad worth $1000 and access to the full set of regulatory compliance documents from Ministry of Business Industry and Employment.
- And your boss will win an employer award of an Apple iPad.
- Travel, accomodation and tickets to attend the Registered Master Builders House of the Year national awards gala dinner Sat 18 November in Auckland.
Second and third place getters will win an Apple iPad and access to the full set of regulatory compliance documents from MBIE, a high quality toolbox from one of CARTERS’ top suppliers as well as a Weber BBQ from APL Window Solutions.
** All prizes must be redeemed by 31 December 2019, and are not transferable or able to be redeemed for a cash equivalent. Participation in the Outward Bound course is not compulsory, although the course is not redeemable or transferable for a cash equivalent.
Terms and conditions of entry
Apprentice of the Year winners at Outward Bound 2016